Join Us- Monday April 19th at 1pm: 10% for Bikes and Peds!April 18, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Posted in Bike News, Get Involved | 1 Comment
Tags: Measure R
The meeting we’ve been waiting for- one of the last steps to ensuring that 10% of Measure R Local Return Funds are allocated for bicycle and pedestrian projects. We need people to actively attend this meeting, speak up and show LA City Council that we want dedicated funding for bicycle and pedestrian projects!
When: Monday, April 19th, 1pm
Where: LA City Hall, 200 N. Spring St, Room 340
What’s being discussed tomorrow?
Read the full report here: http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2009/09-0600-S48_rpt_cao_4-9-10.pdf
On page 5-
“RECOMMENDATIONS: That the City Council approve the following actions:
1. Approve a plan for the expenditure of the City’s Measure R local return funds that includes:
c. An annual allocation of a ten percent set-aside for bicycle and pedestrian programs (five percent each) and direction to LADOT to prepare a pedestrian and bicycle project work plan for the expenditure of these funds;
Some talking points, so you’re prepared for tomorrow’s meeting:
- The future of sustainable transportation for our city relies on the implementation of bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure.
- There are more and more people bicycling and walking. Thus we need more dedicated funding streams for bicycle and pedestrian projects.
- There are thousands of shovel-ready projects that rely on this dedicated funding to implement much-needed bike lanes and bike-friendly streets as outlined in the current and proposed Bike Plan.
- In the report, the language states that there is a 5% for bicyclists and 5% for pedestrians. We would like it changed back to 10% to allow more flexibility based on need.
- Cities across the United States are incorporating bicyclists and pedestrians as transportation and LA needs to catch up and include them in the budget.
- The dedicated set-aside shows that you, our political leaders, are committed to creating a more healthy and livable Los Angeles.
RSVP to Dorothy@la-bike.org if you plan to attend. We hope to mobilize a significant amount of people to this meeting. It’s been a long campaign, but we’re on the tail end of it and we hope that you all come out to keep it the final push it needs to pass through FULL City Council after this meeting.